Sapulpa first appeared in Catholic records in 1893. The national Catholic Directory also mentions that Father William H. Ketcham, pastor of Muskogee, was making occasional visits to Sapulpa when George Perryman, principal chief of the Creek Nation gave a letter to "Reverend Father W.H. Ketcham, Roman Catholic
Missionary to the Creeks and Cherokees, dated April 26, 1894, and says simply, "You are hereby permitted to erect a church building at Sapulpa, Creek Nation, I.T., for the purpose of your religious necessities. "The Muskogee pastor continued to attend to Sapulpa until 1899 when Holy Family parish was established in Tulsa, and
Holy Family served Sapulpa.
In 1907 a white frame church building was erected on the corner of Elm and Lincoln. At this time Sapulpa's Sacred Heart Mission was made a parish and a rectory was built later that same year. During this time Fr. Van Eyck was pastor. In 1922, the old church was replaced with a Jacobean Gothic brick structure and the rectory was constructed later in the same year. In 1929 Fr. James Rooney arrived in Sapulpa and was pastor to over 400 families until 1941 when Fr. John Lynch was assigned to Sapulpa. Fr. John Lynch remained in Sapulpa until 1943 when he joined the Armed Services and Fr. Francis Neville came to Sapulpa and in 1947 established a parish school and convent.
The following dates are cornerstones in the development and progress of Sacred Heart Church and it's parish following Fr. John Lynch's departure to join the armed forces.
1943 – 1964 Fr. Francis X. Neville
1964 – 1965 Fr. Joseph Kolb
1965 – 1972 Fr. Patrick Murtagh
1971 Sacred Heart Catholic School closes
1972 – 1972 Fr. James Greiner
1973 – 1981 Fr. Thomas K. Melton
1982 Sacred Heart's 75th Anniversary
1981 – 1984 Fr. Neal Brogan
1982 Deacon Noel Hollingshead ordained
1984 – 1996 Fr. Daniel C. Keohane
1987 Deacon Francis Decker ordained
1988 Deacon Noel Hollingshead moves to Sand Springs
1989 Deacon Robert Washko ordained
Deacon Robert Schmidt ordained
1989 The new Church dedicated
1991 The Rectory dedication September 22nd
1995 Deacon Bob Schmidt passes away Deacon Robert Washko moves to Gutherie
1996 – 2000 Fr. Jake Males retires
2000 Fr. Charles Hewawasam
2001 Deacon Mark Pittman ordained, Our Lady of Lourdes dedicated, Construction of the Stations of the Cross Gardens began
2002 Dedication of the Station of the Cross Gardens
2002 - 2007 Fr. Stuart Crevcour
2007-2014 Fr. Jovita Okonkwo
2014- present Fr. Louis Obirieze
2017 Deacon Vince Greuel ordained
Sacred Heart parish has grown during the past 95 years. From the little "church building" that Missionary Fr. W. H. Ketcham was permitted to build, to Fr. Francis Neville establishing a parish school, and the move to Fr. Daniel C. Keohane's "glorious" new home on 1777 E. Grayson. Today the parish enjoys Fr. Charles Hewawasam's vision of the serenity of Sacred Heart's beautiful grounds, with Our Lady of Lourdes garden and the Stations of the Cross meditation gardens.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church was established the same year Oklahoma became a state. It maintained a vital part of Christianity to Sapulpa and the state of Oklahoma. We thank God for the many priests and religious that have given their guidance, prayers and spiritual leadership to our parish. In 2007 we celebrated our 100th anniversary.